Posted By: Candace
Now I've been a vegan long enough to have figured out what I need to eat for protein and other essential vitamins and minerals. However, since finding out that I was pregnant, I feel like I don't eat enough and that I need to add certain foods to my diet. For instance, sweet potatoes, a pregnancy super food that I don't particularly like; but thank the Lord I have other options to choose from. I'm a big fan of sprouts (alfalfa, clover, radish, etc), but according to the Baby Center Pregnancy app, sprouts should be avoided during pregnancy. The sprouts may contain E. coli or Salmonella bacteria. All raw vegetables (especially lettuce and cabbage) should be washed. Also, avoid ramen noodles (filled with sodium), sodas, frozen meals (also full or sodium), caffeine, and Iceberg lettuce (choose romaine lettuce instead). Okay, now for the vegan pregnancy super foods.
1. Sweet Potatoes (good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, & folate)
2. Walnuts (great source of omega-3s)
3. Beans (chickpeas, lentils) (good sources of fiber, protein, iron, folate, calcium, & zinc)
4. Dark green, leafy vegetables (spinach, kale) (good source of folate, and vitamins A, C, and K)
5. Berries (blueberries, raspberries) (good sources of vitamin C, fiber, and folate)
Sources (1) (2)