Posted by: Candace
1. In 1898, the largest Black owned life insurance company in the United States was founded in Durham. It was named NC Mutual Life Insurance Company.
2. Mechanics & Farmers Bank was founded in 1907. It is one of the oldest Black-owned banks in America.
3. North Carolina Central University, a historically black college & university, was founded in 1909 by Dr. James E. Shepard. The college's original name was the National Religious Training School and Chautauqua. NCCU was the first public liberal arts college for Blacks in the U.S.
4. North Carolina's first sit-in actually happened in Durham, not Greensboro. It was led by the Rev. Douglas Moore at Royal Ice Cream Parlor. This sit-in took place in 1957, 3 years before the sit-in in Greensboro.
5. On April 4, 1968; Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was scheduled to be in Durham. He cancelled in order to protest in Memphis, TN. On that date in history, he was murdered.
6. Parrish Street, a four block district in Durham, was known as Black Wall Street.
Sources: (1), (2), (3)